Anniversary

Monday, October 10, 2011

Hypoglycemia

A few times earlier in my pregnancy I would have little episodes where I got kind of dizzy & felt like I might pass out. I ate something or drank some juice and felt better. It was never really bad, just slightly annoying.

However, the past few days it has been happening every single morning and it has been bad. It even happens if I eat breakfast (but it's worse if I haven't eaten anything yet.) This morning was so bad I was late to work. It hit me like a truck. All of a sudden I got really hot & sweaty, my heart was pounding, I was nauseous, dizzy, and felt like I was going to pass out. My legs were so weak I couldn't even stand. It was pretty scary. I drank a bunch of apple juice and sat down for a bit and it passed. I figured I better call my doctor because I was worried about diabetes.

The nurse I talked to said it is definetly a blood sugar issue. She said I need to increase the frequency of my meals and change what I'm eating. They want me eating before I even get out of bed. They want me to eat every 2 hours. I have to eat like I'm diabetic. Mainly focusing on getting more protein. (and of course avoiding sugar)

While this problem is better than having high blood sugar (where I would have to monitor my levels daily and possibly be on insulin!) It still sucks that I have to deal with this. My doctor thinks it can be taken care of with diet, and I hope so. They want me to make sure I'm getting enough calories. (which I'm sure I am.) I'm eating when I'm hungry, I'm not eating a perfect diet, but I'm not eating total crap either. So I guess I'm a little shocked that I have to deal with this.

I guess I'm going to the grocery store tonight after work and getting some extra eggs, cheese & nuts! Meat is an aversion I have so I have to look at getting protein from other sources.

It's amazing what having your blood sugar be off (even slightly) can do to you. It was a really scary morning feeling so sick and weak. At least it seems to be a pretty easy fix! (and my fingers are crossed that I don't get full blown G.D.)




3 comments:

Jillian said...

very scary stuff. I fainted nearly every day throughout my pregnancy. They never did figure out the reasoning.

Mrs. H said...

This has happened to me a few times too, and the dizziness during the 2nd trimester is no fun! Hope you feel better!

Christina said...

I had the same issue pregnant with Annika and this time yet I still manage to pass the glucose tolerance test. My advice is to always have a small bit of protein with every snack you have or meal. I'll have some sliced cheese with my apple as a snack and then a few hours later I have some grapes with string cheese. I have the same issue with any sort of meats. Always carry nuts and granola bars with you too just in case you need them!