Anniversary

Monday, September 13, 2010

Lasik & Babies

Apparently these two things go hand-in-hand when it comes to my future in the next year.

I had my eye exam last week. (I am very blind. I can't see anything without my glasses/contacts and can't function AT ALL. It's bad.) So I am talking to the DR and he asks if my mom and siblings all have bad eyes and I said "yes." He told me that any future children I might have need to get their eyes checked before they start pre-school because he bets 99% they will have really bad eyes too. :( Sadness. (But it doesn't really shock me. I got glasses for the first time when I was 5 or 6, too)

Also, I got a big shock when it came to the total it will cost me to order glasses and contacts. My prescription is good for 2 years. And for ONE pair of glasses (with a cheap $60 frame!) and contacts it will cost me about $800. My prescription is so strong they need to make special lenses for me. And my contacts are also $$ because not every brand makes contacts as strong as I need them. I also have an astigmatism. Awesome.

$800 every 2 years for the REST OF MY LIFE. (not including contact solution. That sh*t adds up!)

Enter: Lasik.

Tom said I need to go ahead and get lasik done. It will probably cost around 3,000 but when you consider all they money I will spend over the nest few years, it makes sense. However, my prescription just changed and in order to get lasik they want you to have a stable prescription for at least a year. So I won't qualify until next September. (Assuming my prescription won't change much in the next year.)

However, we were planning on TTC next spring/summer. And depending on how fast it happened for us, there is a possibility I would be pregnant by September. And you can't get Lasik if you're pregnant.

So it looks like we are shooting for Lasik in Sept and TTC right after my surgery. I want to meet with a surgeon after the wedding to make sure there aren't any other issues that wouldn't allow me to have the surgery. (Such as my eyes being TOO bad and un-fixable *tear*) But as of right now Sept 2011 might be a busy month for me!

Anyone ever had Lasik? Good? Bad?

No comments: