Anniversary

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving

It's almost Thanksgiving. That means lots of food and lots of family. Neither one of those things are good for my diet! But I've decided to really enjoy this holiday this year. And I will be thankful for everything good in my life. I have a roof over my head. I have a bf who loves me. I have three fur-babies I love. I've lost 26 pounds. I have a job with no sign of lay-offs in this crazy economy. And lastly, I have my health.

I work with a woman who was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. After chemo and radiation, the tumor hasn't shrunk at all, and now it looks like it is spreading to her lungs. She is single, and lives her life for her dog. Her dog recently had puppies, which was one of the highlights of her life. Unfortunately, do this recent news, she was unable to care for the puppies and had to give them to her friend to raise. In her time of greatest need, she can't even have her dog with her. It broke my heart.

This woman is so strong. I can't believe how well she is holding up. If I were in her shoes, well, I really don't know what I would do. I've never been told I only have a few months to live. So I can't even imagine what she's going through. She is handling it very well. She does say she is scared, but who wouldn't be?! She even comes to work 2 days a week. In her darkest hour, she is still working. She craves a sense of normalcy. If I were in her shoes, I wouldn't be working. But she says she wants to live as "normal" as possible.

When I think my life is bad, I will always look up to this woman. I will be thankful for everything I have in my life. She has touched me forever. I hope the rest of her life is full of peace and happiness.

I just wish it didn't take cancer to open my eyes to how lucky I actually am...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for losing 26lbs!

Happy Thanksgiving!